Robert Avossa puts out slick videos but there is a darker and more dangerous side that is hurting students, teachers and education in general. The Palm Beach Post recently discovered that the number of employees making $140,000 or more has gone way up under Avossa’s reign. Avossa claims these people are needed to help kids and improve outcomes.
This is bullshot.
There is nobody in the district outside of the classroom that does a darn bit of good in improving outcomes. This arrogant chirping by Avossa shows how out of touch this Jeb Bush disciple is. Of course the feckless Board allows this. They did award him with an unethical and obscene $350,000 a year contract flush with extra benefits.
Intimidation and dishonesty are two words often associated with Avossa.
- directs his staff to interrogate students, staff and the public before they speak at public meetings.
- refuses to tell principals to stop requiring PLC meetings which the Union says are illegal.
- recently told teachers not to complain about hurricane makeup days since they got paid for the days off. I should note the makeup days were already teacher duty days so they are not extra days for them.
- repeatedly lied to staff and the public about not taking away winter vacation time for makeup days.
- ignored the established makeup days on the approved calendar.
- refuses to tell principals to stop requiring students to do 50-60 local diagnostic tests each year.
- redirects money in school budgets to force students to take the PSAT in grades 8,9,10 and then the SAT in grade 11.
- rolled out a flawed SIS system without testing it ahead of time.
- Awarded a new contract for copy machines that tracks usage by individual staff members and also tracks how much they are spending to copy things.
I could go on but the point is made. A feckless Board combined with feckless Super is a dangerous combination.
“Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice.” – Dante